Recipe by crazycookinmama
This is delicious...better than store bought for sure, and not all that difficult to make. It comes from "The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook". Let me know what ya'll think.
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 cup dark rum (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus
- additional ground nutmeg, for sprinkling
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy 4-quart saucepan, with wire whisk, beat eggs, sugar, and salt until blended.
- Gradually stir in 1 quart milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon (temperature on thermometer should reach 160³F), about 25 minutes.
- (Do not boil, or mixture will curdle).
- Pour custard into large bowl; stir in remaining 1 quart milk, rum if using, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or up to 1 day.
- To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until soft peaks for.
- With wire whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard mixture.
- Pour eggnog into chilled 5-quart punch bowl; sprinkle with nutmeg.