Recipe by butterflyday
My Grandmother has been making this for Christmas and Thanksgiving since the 50's. Now my brother and I make it for our own friends and families - it's become a holiday staple. Mmm... Eat up!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelopeknox unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (1 lb) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 oranges or 1 apples, peeled and diced or 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can pineapple tidbits
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix gelatin, sugar and salt thoroughly in a small saucepan.
- Add water. Place over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Blend with a rotary beater.
- Pour into a refrigerator tray.
- Quick chill in freezing unit 10-15 minutes, or until firm, about 1 inch from edge but soft in center.
- Beat until fluffy. Fold in remaining ingredients.
- Turn into 4 cup mold or individual molds and chill until firm.
- Unmold on serving plate.