Recipe by greenery
This is one of those recipes that everybody asks for and it's quite easy to make. A Thanksgiving staple. Roasted red pepper cut into strips can be added for color and an additional zing.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups fresh corn or 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- nutmeg (optional)
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a deep casserole dish.
- Combine butter, half and half, and eggs.
- Beat until blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put grated cheese and corn into the casserole dish and toss to mix.
- Pour the butter, cream and egg mixture over the cheese and corn mixture. The liquid should completely cover the solid. If it does not, add whole milk or half-and-half until you have sufficient liquid.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on the top if you like.
- Put the uncovered casserole in a 350 degree oven. If at any time during the baking, the top gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for one hour. If you begin with frozen corn, it will take another half hour for the custard to set properly.
- It's done when the outer edges are brown and the center is firm when the dish is jiggled.