Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Because of the bananas make this pie the same day you are serving it. If you are making two pies, prepare the ingredients completely separately. Prep time includes both chilling times --- see my Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked and cooled (can use a 10-inch pie shell also)
- 1 (14 ounce) canpitted tart cherries (not cherry pie filling)
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry gelatin
- 8 -10 drops red food coloring
- 3 medium ripe bananas, sliced (make certain to use yellow ripe bananas with no dark spots)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- whipped cream or cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Drain the cherries reserving 2 tablespoons of the juice.
- In a large saucepan combine 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and flour.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple with juice, cherries and the 2 tablespoons reserved cherry juice; bring to a boil, cook stirring for about 2 minutes, or until thickened; remove from heat.
- Add in the cherry gelatin powder; stir until dissolved, then stir in the red food colouring.
- Chill until PARTIALLY set.
- Stir in the sliced bananas and nuts.
- Pour into baked and cooled pie shell.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours until completely set before serving.
- Slice and dollop with whipped cream or Cool Whip topping, or spread the whipped cream on top of the pie and then slice.