Recipe by Bec
A side dish recipe by Jan Dulka for the "From the Governor's Pantry" cookbook, Lind House Association in New Ulm, Minnesota, July 1988. The book is dedicated to the many volunteers who had donated their time, talents and money to restore the John Lind home. Jan noted that the flavors of this recipe are enhanced each time it is reheated, and it freezes quite well.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained or 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
Directions See How It's Made
- Break cauliflower into medium size flowerets.
- Cook in boiling water until crisp tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In 2- quart saucepan, sauté mushrooms, green pepper in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour.
- Add milk and cook 5 to 10 minutes stirring until thickened.
- Add salt, cheeses, and pimento; mix well.
- Place layers on cauliflower in casserole with cheese sauce.
- Bake in 325°F oven for 15 minutes.