Recipe by Targetgirl
This is one of my variations of Linda's "Cake Mix Cookies", and I thought the changes warranted it as a separate recipe. For the white chocolate chips, I used those red and green swirled ones that Nestle puts out at holiday time. I chilled the dough a bit in the fridge before doing the first dozen, and then set the bowl back in the fridge between each dozen to make it just a smidge easier to work with. From start to finish, it only took an hour to have four dozen pretty and tasty cookies to add to my holiday cookie tins!
Top Review by NurseJaney
I have been having a wonderful time with my new culinary find -- cake mix cookies, that when I saw the review here about the red and green swirls, I just went BALISTIC !! Let me tell you what you might NOT want to do !! First, I got a box of Funfetti cake mix -- I do believe it has MORE sugar than the others ! Instead of 3 egg whites, I used 2 eggs - since that is what most of the other recipes listed. I did not include coconut -- personal preference. Added 3/4 cup Craisins, and since it seemed very dry, added almost 1/2 Tbsp. water. Started the first batch at 10 minutes -- seemed soft, so let them go another minute. Put the second batch in the oven and tasted one ALMOST cooled cookie ---MAJOR SUGAR RUSH !! If you love sweet things -- this is for you !! I did let subsequent batches bake up to 13 minutes, til they developed a brown edge. Did get 46 cookies with a #40 Zeroll scoop. The last few batchees began to separate, and not be cohesive with the candy -- almost an oily texture. They taste SWEET, but no harm was done by changes. Think I will stick to PLAIN mixes from now on ! Thanks for a fun afternoon, Targetgirl -- DH was FULL of suggestions as the batches went on. I am certain kids, big and small, will really go for these !
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, white chocolate chips, coconut and dried cranberries in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Combine egg whites, vanilla extract and oil in a small bowl. Add to the ingredients in the large bowl and stir well to combine. If the mixture seems too dry, add up to 1 Tbs. water, so that all ingredients are well incorporated. Chill in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper. Form dough into small balls, using a heaping half tablespoonful of dough for each cookie. Place balls on cookie sheets, about an inch apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are just golden brown in spots on the top. Let them cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet before removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.