This makes a perfect Christmas breakfast and is so colorful! I have made this for a holiday brunch and just cut each tortilla into 4 before serving, giving you 32 bite sized pieces.
- 1 green pepper, chopped finely
- 1 red pepper, chopped finely
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salsa (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked ham, I use honey maple
- 8 small flour tortillas, use red and green for a Christmas Brunch
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- Saute vegetables in skillet with butter or oil until tender.
- Remove from pan and add eggs.
- Scramble fry until cooked and then add sour cream and salsa.
- Add rest of the ingredients, saving one cup of cheese for the topping, and heat through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of mixture into center of tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a casserole.
- Repeat until all tortillas are filled.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.
- These do freeze well, but not for an extended period of time. Freeze after step 7. Wrap well, label and freeze. To serve: place frozen enchiladas into baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until derfrosted. Top with cheese and then bake as directed.
This is a really great recipe. I did add salt and pepper to taste, and I wasn't sure whether I was suppose to mix any of the cheese in with the eggs or just place on top. I placed all of the cheese on top, but next time, I think I am going to mix some in with the egg mixture.
We just ate these-and they were delicious!! I fried my sliced bacon off with the peppers and onion,to cash in on the flavoursome bacon juices.When I scrambled my eggs ,I slightly undercooked them (I like them on the wet side anyway) as I was afraid that they would become a bit rubbery after being baked.I used the sour cream,and I also added a little picante sauce to the eggs,along with the cheese to keep them from drying out and to add flavour.A mixture of cheddar and mexicana cheese was sprinkled on the top.A great tasting,different breakfast,that doesn't require a huge amount of effort.We'll be eating this again!!