Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a colorful ,wonderfully cheesy breakfast casserole for the holidays or any other time of year. It can be made the night before and then popped in the oven the next morning.
- 1 lb bacon
- 3 1⁄2 cups seasoned croutons
- 10 ounces Velveeta cheese, grated
- 8 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (like Gulden's)
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut bacon into small strips. Cook bacon until crisp and drain on a paper towel, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan. (Save the remaining bacon grease in a covered container in the refrigerator for future uses -- to season vegetables, for cornbread, or anytime you want to add some great bacon taste to something.).
- Using the same pan that you cooked the bacon in with the 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, saute the diced onions until tender. Add the diced green pepper and saute for a couple of minutes. Set the peppers and onions aside and allow to cool a little.
- Have the plum tomatoes (I like Roma ) diced and ready. Set aside.
- Spray a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray, like Pam. Line the bottom of the baking dish with the seasoned croutons. You want them in a single layer. This may take a little more or less than 3 cups. Sprinkle the grated Velveeta cheese all over the top of the croutons.
- Whisk together the eggs and sour cream until well mixed. Add the cooked peppers and onions, salt, pepper, mustard and milk to the egg mixture. Mix well. Pour on top of the croutons and cheese in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the diced tomatoes on top. Then, sprinkle the cooked bacon on top,.
- Bake 50 minutes to an hour or until center is set. Enjoy!
This was a pretty standard breakfast casserole - faily quick, very easy and yummy to boot : ) I made some adjustments based on ingredients we had around the house - stuffing cubes instead of croutons, shredded colby jack instead of velveeta - and was very happy with the results. Thanks for helping me to find a yummy use for my left over stuffing and sour cream : )