Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe, from my mom's cookbook, is yellowed with age.. I remember her making it during the holidays every year. It's like a fruitcake, but more of an oatmeal loaf - with just a touch of dried fruit. Mom would toast thick slices and spread cream cheese on it for us.
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup mixed mixed glace fruit
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup buttery flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Mix oatmeal with buttermilk well. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Combine other ingredients and add oatmeal and buttermilk mixture. Blend WELL.
- Pour into buttered loaf pan (9x5x3). Bake in preheated oven, 350, for 45*50 minutes. Decorate with mixed fruit and/or nuts. (I do this during the last 15 min by gently pushing fruit/nuts inches.
- If browning occurs too quickly, tent foil on top.
I made this over the holidays. It was very good, although a little bland. I wasn't sure why it had cornstarch but I just added it to the mixture. Maybe I should have dusted the glace fruit with it as all the fruit sunk. Next time I'll use more fruit in it and dust the fruit with flour.