Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are really plain biscotti dressed up for the holidays by adding candied cherries and/or chopped almonds to the dough for a festive look. From a local newspaper Sunday Magazine some years back. This dough contains no butter or oil.
- Whip eggs until thick.
- Beat in sugar and salt for about five minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Fold dry ingredients into whipped mixture by hand.
- Add flavor and blend well.
- Add cherries or chopped almonds.
- On parchment lined baking sheet spoon three strips of batter, three inches wide and about 1 inch thick.
- Use your hand to shape the dough.
- Bake at 375 F.degrees about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise slices about one inch thick.
- Lower oven temperature to 325°F degrees.
- Turn biscotti on edge, return to baking sheet and bake in 325°F oven for about five minutes.
- Makes 24 pieces.