These are really plain biscotti dressed up for the holidays by adding candied cherries and/or chopped almonds to the dough for a festive look. From a local newspaper Sunday Magazine some years back. This dough contains no butter or oil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon anise extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind or 1 teaspoon orange rind
- 3/4 cup candied cherries, whole or 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1Whip eggs until thick.
- 2Beat in sugar and salt for about five minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 3Sift flour and baking powder.
- 4Fold dry ingredients into whipped mixture by hand.
- 5Add flavor and blend well.
- 6Add cherries or chopped almonds.
- 7On parchment lined baking sheet spoon three strips of batter, three inches wide and about 1 inch thick.
- 8Use your hand to shape the dough.
- 9Bake at 375 F.degrees about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pan.
- 11Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise slices about one inch thick.
- 12Lower oven temperature to 325°F degrees.
- 13Turn biscotti on edge, return to baking sheet and bake in 325°F oven for about five minutes.
- 14Makes 24 pieces.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.2
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 27.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: