Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This ever-popular tea bread is made Christmas-pretty with the addition of colorful candied fruits. This bread may look like a fruit cake but the taste is pure banana-delicious! I like to use candied red and green cherries and yellow candied pineapple, which I coarsely chop, in this bread for the prettiest look.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup mixed candied fruit, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh raisins
- 5 1⁄3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 or 4 very ripe bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Thoroughly grease a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, measure, and sift with the baking powder and salt onto a piee of waxed paper. Add the nuts, raisins and candied fruits, and mix until well coated with the flour.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until lthik and pale-lemon colored. Alternate additions of flour and fruit mixture and the mashed bananas, stirring after each addition until well blended. Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Spoon into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutrs or until bread pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool about 20 minutes before turning out on a rack to cool well.