Cook1 hr 45 mins
I made this for the holidays, and it was truly the best applesauce I've ever had. The apartment smelled incredible while it was cooking! I used a mixture of Gala and Fuji apples, although any apples should be fine. Courtesy of Saveur.com.
- 2267.96 g apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice & zest of
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 177.44 ml apple cider or 177.44 ml apple juice
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- Bring all ingredients except the vanilla extract to a boil in a 6-qt. saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the apples start to break down.
- Uncover and cook for a further 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the mixture has reduced by about a third and the sauce becomes thick and amber-colored.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Serve warm or cool.