1/2 Photos of Holiday Apple Pie
1 hr 30 mins
This is the pie I usually make for Thanksgiving and other holidays at our house. I always use Watkins brand pie seasoning blend, but you may use any good quality brand you prefer. I also often make my own crust, but you may use store-bought crust if you prefer. For the apples, I try to mix several types of baking apples for best flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 unbaked double crust pie crust (9")
- 2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 8 cups tart baking apples, peeled,cored,thinly sliced (such as Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice (such as Watkins brand Apple Pie Bake blend)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Preheat oven to 425 F.
- 2Place bottom layer of pie pastry into a 9" pie plate and set aside.
- 3Cut up butter into small pieces and set aside in a small dish at room temperature.
- 4Combine apple slices with lemon juice, sugar, flour, apple pie seasoning, and salt, mixing gently to combine well, but without crushing the apple slices.
- 5Pour filling into pie plate.
- 6Sprinkle the butter pieces over the top evenly.
- 7Top pie with top layer of the pie pastry, crimping and sealing edges decoratively.
- 8Combine egg yolk and water and brush over entire surface of the pie with a pastry brush.
- 9Cut a few slits in the top crust to allow venting of steam.
- 10Set a foil lined cookie sheet on the bottom rack of your oven and set the pie on the center rack of your oven (the extra pan will help catch any drips).
- 11Bake for 15 minutes at 425F.
- 12Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and bake another 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is starting to bubble.
- 13Let cool before slicing as this will be boiling hot when fresh from the oven (you may serve pie warm or cold).
- 14NOTE: I check the pie about halfway through the baking process and if the crust edges are getting too brown, I set a pie ring on top; If you don't have a pie ring, you can make one using foil.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.0
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 28.2 mg
- Sodium 283.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 38.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
apple pie spice