3 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 5 mins
You will receive rave reviews at you holiday table when you serve this pie, the cranberry filling can be made up to two days ahead and chilled, prep time includes cooling the cranberry filling, you will love this pie!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 double crust pie crust (to fit a 9 or 10-inch pie plate)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice (I use Ocean Spray brand cranberry juice)
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white, slighty beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1In a saucepan over medium heat stir in 3/4 cup sugar and cranberry juice, add in the cranberries and bring to a simmer.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until almost all the liquid is absorbed, stirring often; cool (this can be made up to 2 days ahead and chilled).
- 3In a bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
- 4Then add in flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 3/4 cup sugar; toss well to blend.
- 5Set oven to 400 degrees (bottom oven rack).
- 6Roll out the pastry dough and fit into bottom of a 9 or 10-inch glass pie plate (trim the overhang to 1-inch).
- 7Brush the top of the bottom crust lightly with egg white to prevent a soggy cust.
- 8Spread the cranberry mixture over the bottom crust, then top with the apple mixture.
- 9Dot with butter pieces.
- 10Place the top pastry over the apples.
- 11Press the crust edges together to seal, then flute.
- 12Cut a 1-inch slit on top of the pastry.
- 13Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl or cup.
- 14Brush with milk and then sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon.
- 15Place the pie on a cookie sheet to catch any spills.
- 16Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- 17Reduce heat to 375 and continue baking for about 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- 18Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Apple Cranberry Layer Pie
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.0
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 279.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 55.4 g
- Protein 4.0 g