Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You will receive rave reviews at you holiday table when you serve this pie, the cranberry filling can be made up to two days ahead and chilled, prep time includes cooling the cranberry filling, you will love this pie!
Top Review by RaCa
This is amazing. SO good.
I put this topping on it instead of the top crust and it was like heaven in our mouths.
Walnut Crumb Topping
* 3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup packed (5 3/4 ounces) brown sugar
* 3/4 cup (3 ounces) raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
* 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 double crust pie crust (to fit a 9 or 10-inch pie plate)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cranberry juice (I use Ocean Spray brand cranberry juice)
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white, slighty beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over medium heat stir in 3/4 cup sugar and cranberry juice, add in the cranberries and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until almost all the liquid is absorbed, stirring often; cool (this can be made up to 2 days ahead and chilled).
- In a bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
- Then add in flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 3/4 cup sugar; toss well to blend.
- Set oven to 400 degrees (bottom oven rack).
- Roll out the pastry dough and fit into bottom of a 9 or 10-inch glass pie plate (trim the overhang to 1-inch).
- Brush the top of the bottom crust lightly with egg white to prevent a soggy cust.
- Spread the cranberry mixture over the bottom crust, then top with the apple mixture.
- Dot with butter pieces.
- Place the top pastry over the apples.
- Press the crust edges together to seal, then flute.
- Cut a 1-inch slit on top of the pastry.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl or cup.
- Brush with milk and then sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 and continue baking for about 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.