Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this out of the Edmonton Journal. This recipe is soooooo yummy and a welcome change to all the meaty types.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (796 ml) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 (398 ml) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (398 ml) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh whole kernel corn or 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- plain low-fat yogurt
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper; saute 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add green peppers and garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Add cocoa, tomatoes and water; bring to a boil.
- Add kidney and black beans, corn and bulgur.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until bulgur is cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, top with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkle with cilantro.