Potatoes baked with a core of bacon and scallion. You will have great fun experimenting with this recipe. I have made them using fresh herbs, garlic slivers and grated cheese. (Added post review) Some of the newer apple corers are much larger. Mine is made by OXO.
- Preheat oven or covered BBQ grill to 350°F.
- Wash potatoes and cut a thin slice off each end.
- Plunge an apple corer through one cut end (lengthwise) as far as it will go, twist and remove.
- Sprinkle bacon with pepper, top with a scallion"tail" and fold the bacon over the scallion.
- Insert into the potato, packing in the bacon and scallion with a finger, trim if necessary to leave room at both ends for a"plug".
- Cut slices off the potato cores, wide enough to plug the holes, when the slices are turned sideways.
- Plug both ends of the potatoes, wrap in foil and bake 50- 60 minutes or until done.