Recipe by fiery
A crunchie sweet(candy) which is popular in New Zealand especially when mixed in ice cream. Can be covered in chocolate but that's a bit to sweet even for me.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 drops lemon essence
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil white and brown sugars, water and cream of tartar very quickly until a little dropped into cold water cracks.
- Take off the heat add the essence and baking powder. Stir lightly and pour in to a buttered tin. A 9 inch slice tin is a good size. When cold, break (you might need a rolling pin to break it up) store in a airtight container.