Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love comfort foods, and I like to snazzy the ones I grew up with occasionally. This recipe is an offshoot of the standard Tater Tot Casserole recipe that most of us grew up with.
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, cremini, oyster, shitaki, trumpet, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup brie cheese, chopped without skin
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots (1 bag)
- Chop bacon into 1/2 inch pieces, on medium high heat, render until tender on the edge of crispy. Remove from pan.
- Add olive oil to bacon grease and saute mushrooms and onions for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to saute for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef to mixture and cook until meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Drain meat mixture and return to pan.
- Add rendered bacon to meat mixture.
- Sprinkle mixture with optional truffle oil.
- Add mushroom soup to mixture, stir and heat for 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper mixture to taste.
- Add one cup of cheddar cheese plus all other cheese and heat until melted.
- Pour mixture into 9 x 13 backing dish.
- Top with Tater Tots and heat in 350 degree oven for 1 hour, or until Tater Tots are crispy.
- Top with remaining cup of cheese and heat until cheese is melted.