Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Oh, the waste of expired hoisin that I've thrown away! A small-batch recipe that's easy to whip up. This does NOT taste exactly like store bought, but can get you through a recipe with darn good results. Sriracha Asian Sweet Hot Sauce works best.
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean paste (can sub peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon molasses or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 20 drops chinese hot sauce (or habenero or jalapenos)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a Mason jar and shake until it emulsifies.
- Note 1: May need to increase peanut butter/black bean paste to taste. Use no more than 2 tablespoons, but please, start with one tablespoon.
- Note 2: Can sub 1 toe fresh garlic for powdered. Work with mortar and pestle the fresh garlic and jalapeno until it forms a paste.
This hoisin sauce is really good. Even better than store-bough. I used peanut butter and molasses. Thanks Gailanng :) Made for the Australian recipe swap for June 2011
This is da bomb! I made this last week, for Nif's Honey Grilled Chicken Thighs, and forgot to take a photo, I was in such a rush! I have to admit that I like the flavor of this better than store bought brand. I can make it a bit sweeter, or hotter, or nuttier - to taste. And it is easy peasy....No more running to the store at the last minute for another forgotten item! :-) Thanks so much for posting, Gailann!
I was making some pork and shrimp dumplings and wanted a good sauce and found this one googling. So easy, especially considering I already had all the ingredients. I used 1 tbsp of peanut butter and really wouldn't recommend too much more, my taste-testers (aka roommates) said the peanut butter was subtly perfect. I used the brown sugar, a habanero hot sauce, and added maybe 1 tsp of maple syrup to take a little tartness out. My blog details the adventure so if you're interested click on my name and its under the about me.