Adapted from BBQ with Bobby Flay! Episode-Extreme Barbeque! The chicken needs to marinate 1 to 2 days.
- Put the hens in a baking dish.
- Mix the hoisin sauce, red wine, scallions, ginger, garlic and sesame oil together in a bowl and pour the marinade over the hens.
- Cover and refrigerate the hens for 1-2 days.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Put the hens on the grill bone side down and grill, covered, about 10 minutes.
- Gently turn them over and continue grilling for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Let the hens rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This was great! I marinated for 1 1/2 days, then strained the leftover marinade and reduced to make a BBQ sauce which I basted with about 5 minutes before pulling off of the grill. I was a little leery of the recipe when I pulled the hens out of the marinade, as they were a really unappetizing purple color. However, as they grilled, they turned a beautiful mahogany color. All three of us really enjoyed this meal, including the leftovers I had for lunch the next day.
Loved the Asian flavors in this. I marinated these for 2 days which really made them tender and soak up more of the hoisin flavor. We also boiled the marinade for about 3 minutes which made for a nice sauce over the chicken and some rice. Thanks Sharon.