Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council. Hoisin is a type of chinese bbq sauce that has a very molasses type flavor. You will not like this if you do not like molasses. Also do not use normal bbq sauce for the hoisin.
- Heat hoisin, honey, gingerroot and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow sauce to simmer for 2-3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Reserve ¼ cup of sauce.
- Lightly score diagonal cuts across the hot dogs.
- Liberally brush hot dogs with sauce.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for the direct grilling method, using medium heat.
- Place hot dogs on grill rack, about 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Cook hot dogs over direct medium heat to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, basting often with the sauce.
- During last 3 to 4 minutes, open hot dog buns and lightly toast them over indirect heat.
- Brush buns with reserved hoisin sauce.
- Place hot dogs into heated buns.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions atop hot dogs.