Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From PILCookbooks.com. Cooking with Beer. Here is a great recipe for homemade Hoisin sauce. Homemade Hoisin Sauce With Peanut Butter. Preparation Time doesn't include marinating.
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- Combine hoisin sauce, beer, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Remove 1/2 cup of this mixture and reserve. Add chicken thighs to bowl, turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate, turning occasionally, at least 2 hours or over night.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking.
- Remove chicken from hoisin mixture and place, skin side down, on lightly oiled grate over medium-high heat. Grill 10 minutes; turn and brush with 1/3 of reserved hoisin mixture. Grill an additional 10 minutes; turn again and brush with another 1/3 of the hoisin mixture. Grill 5 minutes more and turn chicken one last time and brush with remaining hoisin mix. Grill 4 to 6 minutes longer until cooked through and instant read thermometer reads 170°F at thickest part of thigh.
I am really looking forward to warmer weather so I can grill these. I did them in the oven, and they were great, and I think will be even better over the fire! I also think this delicious marinade would be good on a pork tenderloin.
Delicious! I marinated for 8 hours, and grilled on a charcoal grill. I did use boneless, skinless thighs, so I reduced the cooking time. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. Such juicy, tender chicken!! The sugar in the marinade caused flare-ups, but if you watch closely you can control this. I loved this marinade, and will use it again. Made for a welcome home for my son coming home for Christmas from college....he loved this!
This made a wonderful summer meal. I marinated the chicken thighs overnight and there was so much flavor in the chicken. The glaze was nice although did char easily. I think this would make tasty chicken wings too. Served with lime & cilantro rice and sesame slaw. Thank you for sharing the recipe!