Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is a flavorful twist on the traditional chicken sandwich
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 onion sandwich buns
- 59.14 ml honey
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 118.29 ml hoisin sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1.23 ml ginger
- 1.23 ml dry mustard
- 59.14 ml shredded cabbage (to taste)
- 29.58 ml green onions, sliced (to taste)
- 14.79 ml mayonnaise (to taste)
- 14.79 ml hoisin sauce (to taste)
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and set aside.
- Mix together all sauce ingredients thoroughly and marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Grill for 10 minutes, basting with marinade.
- Grill buns at the same time chicken is grilling.
- You can also choose to stir fry the chicken and cooking time will decrease significantly, and simply toast the buns under the broiler.
- Put the chicken on the onion buns and add desired toppings. Good served with your favorite coleslaw.
- I use my bread machine onion buns "Recipe #296559".
Recduced this to two servings for lunch for DS an I. Great tasting sandwiches, I did leave out the cabbage, but other than that made for a great lunch for us. Used hamburger buns, since that is what I had on hand. Worked out well. Made for a great lunch. Made for PRMR Tag.
I made these to go with your onion rolls and it was a perfect match. They whole family enjoyed! Thanks California Jan, for posting. Roxygirl
This takes chicken sandwiches to a whole different level. I couldn't bare to throw away the marinade so I cooked it really well until it was fairly thick and spooned that on the buns. (unfortunately I didn't have any onion rolls- but the hamburger buns worked perfectly!) The chicken breasts were enormous so I only used two and it was enough to feed the three of us plus a little extra for tomorrows lunch. I really enjoyed this unique sandwich!