Prep 17 mins
Cook 10 mins
Hoisin (or Hoi Sin) sauce also known is Chinese barbeque sauce, can be found pre-made in a jar at the supermarket. I prefer to use the "Fountain" brand, but there are many options these days. I've served this recipe hot as a main meal with an Asian Vegetable Stir-fry as a side dish. I've also brought them to a social function and thread them on small skewers, they were eaten cold as finger food. Ten minute marinating time is included in preparation. You can marinate this overnight or just ten minutes.
- 500 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Cut chicken breast into one inch pieces and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add Hoisin sauce, fresh ginger, sesame oil and rice vinegar, mix well.
- Reserve about two tablespoons of the sauce to base the chicken while it's cooking.
- Add chicken and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for ten minutes.
- Preheat BBQ or grill to medium high heat.
- After ten minutes, thread chicken onto metal or wooden skewers.
- Place the chicken on the BBQ or grill and cook chicken. While cooking base chicken with reserve sauce and turn often. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken, but should take about eight minutes until its slightly charred.
- Serve and garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Delicious and very easy to make! I used chicken thigh instead of breast and used only 1/4 tsp. of vinegar the rest I followed the recipe. Never had Hoisin sauce before so I used the Fountain brand too and we liked it. Grilled them on BBQ by the lake and enjoyed them outdoor. Served them with brown rice and light coleslaw. Will definitely make them again! Thank you Chef floWer!
This was delicious! My daughter (age 8) helped me make it, and it was "easy peasy". The only change we made was to toss in some garlic powder as well.
Aussie Swap#62 - Outstanding!! We LOVED this on the BBQ - delicious flavor from the hoisin sauce!