Recipe by Janice0711
Pan-fried corn bread. Most southern people don't consider the high rise sweetened stuff corn bread. This is more like corn bread in the south. I add the peppers and onions. Use olive oil to make more heart-healthy. Great with collards.
Top Review by DaMama_rules
I am from the deep, deep south(any further south and you would be kissing fish in the gulf of Mexico), and this hoecake recipe is as good as any I have ever come across. I have used the onions before but never the peppers and they made a delightful new addition. Excellent with field peas and collard greens.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cornmeal (fine-sifted)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red peppers or 1⁄4 cup green pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients together (except olive oil).
- Let stand a few minutes.
- Heat non-stick pan to low-medium heat.
- Add the olive oil.
- Pat down carefully to resemble a large pancake (mixture should be thick).
- Cook slowly.
- Use a large dinner plate to put over hoecake so you can flip it without breaking.
- Cook till light brown.
- Best to cook slowly.
- Great with any southern meal.