Recipe by AliciaGski
Available through Mount Vernon historical tours, this recipe was given out to our class.
Top Review by CarolAT
These hoecakes were good, but I guess I was expecting a taste a bit more like fried cornbread, and these were a bit too yeasty tasting for me. I will try these again and put less yeast in the mix. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 4 cups of cornmeal with yeast and enough warm water to make a smooth but thick batter.
- Let rest overnight on counter or stovetop.
- Next morning, slowly add the rest of the cornmeal, plus the egg and again, enough warm water to make it a thick smooth batter.
- Heat the griddle and shortening.
- Stir each time before you pour spoonfuls of batter onto hot griddle.
- Make SMALL pancakes and serve with butter and honey on the side.