Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
True southern food. These are great with southern fried chicken or bbq chicken. absolutely delicious.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal (recommended Aunt Jemima's)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup bacon grease
- oil or butter or clarified margarine, for frying
- Mix all ingredients together, except for the frying oil, in a bowl until well combined.
- Heat the frying oil or butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop the batter into the hot skillet.
- Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake. Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side.
- With a slotted spoon, remove each hoecake to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.