Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderful southern tradition. These are great with barbecued chicken. The recipe is from Williams-Sonoma.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together the cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar and green onion.
- Add the egg, buttermilk and melted butter; whisking to combine.
- Preheat a griddle until drops of water sizzles when sprinkled on the griddle; lightly oil with canola oil.
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup of batter onto preheated griddle and allow to form into 2 inch circles.
- Cook the hoecakes until bubbles form, turn and continue cooking until cooked through.
- Place on a warmed serving platter; serve hot.
I think this makes a delicious side to almost any meal. These hoecakes were easy to whip up and cook on the griddle. They were light and delicious. I ate some with just butter and some with honey...both were yummy! The green onion was a nice touch. I think they would be really good with some green chiles also. Thanks for another great recipe, PaulaG. Made for Best of 2010 Cookbooks Tag Game.
These tasted delicious. However, I had some difficulty flipping them because they were so fragile. I finally switched from my cast iron skillet to a nonstick pan, with better results.
Delicious! We loved how it got a nice crispy outside, with a good flavor, and a light texture. I drizzled ours with honey just before serving. It made a great brunch with South Beach Diet Sausage Veggie Breakfast Muffins. Thanks for sharing!