Pierre Dance's Note:
Farm hands would take the 'makings' into the fields. at lunch time they would knock the handle out of their hoe and use the blade for a griddle. While it was heating they mixed the batter. The result was simple corn flat bread. We've spiffied it up a bit and serve it topped with Real Maple Syrup and Eggs over medium on the side. After these, plain Pancakes sort of loose their appeal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat a griddle'til a drop of water'dances' when dropped on it.
- 2Combine the dry ingredients.
- 3Mix well.
- 4Add Eggs, Lard, and butter Milk.
- 5Stir just enough to mix.
- 6DO NOT OVER STIR, THE CAKES WILL BE TOUGH!
- 7Cook on a lightly greased griddle.
- 81/4 cup at a time.
- 9I Have yet to serve these to someone who hasn't asked for the recipe.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoe Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.9
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 121.6 mg
- Sodium 1002.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 21.6 g
- Protein 14.0 g