Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Farm hands would take the 'makings' into the fields. at lunch time they would knock the handle out of their hoe and use the blade for a griddle. While it was heating they mixed the batter. The result was simple corn flat bread. We've spiffied it up a bit and serve it topped with Real Maple Syrup and Eggs over medium on the side. After these, plain Pancakes sort of loose their appeal.
- Preheat a griddle'til a drop of water'dances' when dropped on it.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add Eggs, Lard, and butter Milk.
- Stir just enough to mix.
- DO NOT OVER STIR, THE CAKES WILL BE TOUGH!
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle.
- 1/4 cup at a time.
- I Have yet to serve these to someone who hasn't asked for the recipe.