This is an old civil war recipe that was found to be very good made from a hoe garden tool back then. Of course, if you don't have a garden hoe handy, a cast iron skillet should do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add salt to cornmeal, then water, & lastly, 1 T of the bacon drippings.
- 2Heat the other T of drippings in a heavy iron skillet & make a round cake of cornmeal dough about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick.
- 3Place in hot skillet & cook slowly on top of stove (or over open fire) until brown on one side, then turn & brown the other side.
- 4Serving size is approximate.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoe Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.6
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 612.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g