Recipe by Renegade Chef
From the back of a box of Hodgson Mill wheat bran. I like this recipe because you can make the batter in advance and store in the fridge in an airtight container for 2 to 4 weeks. That way I can bake a few fresh muffins whenever I want without having to break out the mixer.
- 3 cups unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water; stir and let water absorb into bran.
- In a separate bowl blend sugar and butter.
- Measure and combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the moist bran with the beaten eggs, the remaining 2 cups of bran, buttermilk, blended sugar-butter mixture, and the flour, soda and salt.
- Stir until well blended.
- At this point you can place the batter in the fridge for future use or bake at once.
- When preparing to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir batter well and spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Keep remaining mixture in airtight container for 2 to 4 weeks.