Recipe by tgobbi
Since I'm very particular about chili I look at new recipes for the dish with a skeptical eye. This one, published in the Chicago Tribune on 1/11/06 looked interesting and turned out to be quite good. It wasn't nearly spicy enough so I recommend increasing the amount of jalapenos to 6 or more and at least doubling the amount of chili powder.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed & crumbled
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -6 jalapenos, seeds removed & chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) canundrained kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) canundrained great northern beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- shredded cheese (optional)
- chopped onion (optional)
- sliced jalapeno (optional)
- chopped tomato (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add sausage and beef to oil. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin seeds and salt. Cook, stirring often, until onion softens, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste, cilantro and parsley; stir to combine. Heat to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until flavors have blended, 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with toppings on the side if desired.