1 hr 25 mins
Slocan cook's Note:
Here is a cake that needs no icing with its moisture content enough to satisfy your dessert requirements and a grainy texture to make it a healthy choice for todays modern family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 22. Grease and flour a 13" by 9" by 2" baking pan and set aside.
- 33. In a large saucepan put black eyed peas in with cold water and rinse well.
- 44. Measure 2 cups of cold water and add to peas bringing them to a boil and then simmer for 1/2 hour.
- 55. When peas have cooled puree them with a potato masher and measure out 1 cup of peas and set aside.
- 66. In a medium size bowl combine dry ingredients and butter together and then using a pastry blender cut in the butter until it is fine grained with dry ingredients.
- 77. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs and milk adding the tomato ketchup and applesauce mixing together to make a smooth batter.
- 88. Add the cake mix dry ingredients to the batter and whisk until flour is all absorbed and mixture is smooth.
- 99. Add pureed peas to batter and stir with a wire whisk until batter is free of lumps.
- 1010. Stir in celery seed and mix until just combined.
- 1111. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and place in preheated oven.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hodgepodge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.6
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 455.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 2.6 g