Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here is a cake that needs no icing with its moisture content enough to satisfy your dessert requirements and a grainy texture to make it a healthy choice for todays modern family.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (I used Natural Yellow Cake Mix)
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup black-eyed peas (pureed)
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Grease and flour a 13" by 9" by 2" baking pan and set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan put black eyed peas in with cold water and rinse well.
- 4. Measure 2 cups of cold water and add to peas bringing them to a boil and then simmer for 1/2 hour.
- 5. When peas have cooled puree them with a potato masher and measure out 1 cup of peas and set aside.
- 6. In a medium size bowl combine dry ingredients and butter together and then using a pastry blender cut in the butter until it is fine grained with dry ingredients.
- 7. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs and milk adding the tomato ketchup and applesauce mixing together to make a smooth batter.
- 8. Add the cake mix dry ingredients to the batter and whisk until flour is all absorbed and mixture is smooth.
- 9. Add pureed peas to batter and stir with a wire whisk until batter is free of lumps.
- 10. Stir in celery seed and mix until just combined.
- 11. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and place in preheated oven.