1/2 Photos of Hochbrueckner Cream of Broccoli Soup
I clipped this recipe from the newspaper in 1984, which was attributed to then New York State Assemblyman George J. Hochbrueckner, who later was elected to Congress. It was my first attempt at this soup, and I find myself always going back to this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs broccoli
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Trim flowerets from broccoli and reserve. Put aside stems for another use.
- 2In a medium saucepan, combine flowerets and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat, until broccoli is tender, about 12 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet, melt butter and saute onion until golden, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir onion-flour mixture into soup. Heat to boiling; cook until thick. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper.
- 4Transfer broccoli mixture to the container of a food processor. Process until smooth, being careful, as hot liquid will expand. Transfer to clean pot. Add milk, cream, nutmeg, and dash of hot pepper sauce. Heat slowly to boiling, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.
- 5Pour into 6 flameproof soup bowls. Sprinkle each with cheese and run under a preheated broiler until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hochbrueckner Cream of Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.4
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 33.4 mg
- Sodium 576.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 10.2 g