These were a regular in our rotation when I was growing up. The first time we made these, my grandpa commented that he didn't know of any hobo that would eat so well.
- Make 4 patties out of ground chuck.
- Place patty in the middle of a piece of aluminum foil. (make foil big enough to come back up to the middle of the patty and to go around the veggies).
- Sprinkle with garlic salt or garlic powder and pepper.
- Stack veggies on top of burger patty, starting with potatoes.
- Follow by onion slices.
- Follow with carrots and green beans.
- Pull foil up to middle and gather at the top and twist closed. (try to make sure no areas are open on the side for easier clean-up).
- Place in 375°F oven on cookie sheet or directly on oven racks if you are certain, all areas are closed up for 1 hour or until patties are cooked through.
- Once cooked, open foil packet and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Leaving foil packet open, place back in oven long enough to just melt the cheese.
- No need for sides, the whole meal is in the packet!
- Can be cooked on the BBQ grill or campfire also.