Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a quick and easy dish to prepare and is one of the great comfort foods. I've had the recipe so long I don't remember where I got it. I freeze the leftovers one cup at a time in sandwich size zip lock bags and then collect the small bags into a dated and labeled gallon zip lock bag. Thaw, heat, and serve with a garden salad, a baguette, and a nice chianti.
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed not peeled then cubed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the first 6 ingredients in the crock pot, mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over the meat mixture, mix well.
- Cook on high for three hours.
Have made this three or four times, now. Only reason it doesn't have 5 stars is because DH doesn't love it -- I wait til he's out of town!