Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, divided
- 1⁄4 cup finely crushed tortilla chips or 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄3 lbs potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (4 medium)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF or grill to medium-high.
- Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Center one-fourth of onion on each sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Combine 1/4 cup salsa, tortilla chips, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon cumin; add ground beef.
- Shape mixture into four meat loaves, flattening slightly; place one loaf on top of each onion.
- Spoon remaining salsa over meat loaves.
- Combine potatoes with chiles, remaining chili powder, garlic salt and cumin; place beside meat loaves.
- Bring up foil sides.
- Double fold top and ends to seal packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside.
- Repeat to make four packets.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes on a cookie sheet in oven or grill 18 to 22 minutes in covered grill.
- Sprinkle with cheese before serving, if desired.
My husband wasn't a big fan (I also found out he doesn't really like meat loaf either) but I thought it was pretty good. The spice was a bit much for me so I added some sour cream which went great!
My family loved this, and we have some picky eaters. I only used 2 teaspoons of chili powder, and mild salsa because we have little kids who tend to complain when thing aren't bland. Next time I may divide their portions out and add a bit more chili powder to ours.
This is great, not only is it easy to make, my 14 yr old son really likes it and is now often requested. Double bonus!