Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
One of our best and most inexpensive concoctions yet. Makes a great one dish meal. Just add a salad and you're ready to go. Makes 4 casseroles, and the extras can be frozen for later cooking.
- 10 lbs potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 6 -8 medium carrots, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce (approx. 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 (26 ounce) cansundiluted cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cups milk
- salt, to taste (I use approximately 1 tablespoon)
- pepper, to taste (I use approximately 1 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray 4 9x13-inch baking pans with non-stick cooking spray (such as Pam); set aside.
- Combine ground beef, onion, and garlic in large skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until ground beef is browned.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, cream of mushroom soup, and milk.
- Stir until sauce is fairly smooth.
- Boil potatoes until tender; drain. Add potatoes and carrots to sauce.
- Divide mixture evenly between the 4 baking pans.
- To bake: Cover baking pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- To freeze: Allow mixture to cool in baking pan.
- Cover and label; Freeze.
- To use frozen casserole: Allow casserole to thaw overnight in fridge.
- Bake as directed above (may take an additional 15 minutes to bake if placed in the oven directly from fridge).
- **I have to mix this recipe in thirds since I don't have a large enough skillet or bowl to mix it all at once**.
I froze and reheated this. My potatoes were a little smushy but the carrots were not done. If I make this again I would add some spices, maybe cumin. I used half a bottle of worcestershir sauce. I was really glad I used that tip from another reviewer.
Pretty tasty! My family enjoyed this and it made a BUNCH, so I'm glad! LOL Thanks for the recipe! I may experiment with different types of meats, like ground turkey, next time! I also used "light" cream of mushroom and skim milk and it turned out well. Thanks!
My step-sister and I made this as one of our first OAMC recipes. We used only half the recommended worcestershire sauce and it turned out really well. Thanks Kzim4