Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I adopted this recipe and found it to be the perfect comfort food on a "I really don't want to bother cooking" kind of day. It used basic ingredients that are always in my pantry and freezer, and couldn't be more simple to prepare. It isn't a pretty dish, but it is hearty and filling.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups French-fried onions
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pat ground beef into 8x8 pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If using, slice onion on top of beef.
- Slice potatoes onto onion layer, salt and pepper.
- Layer with cheese slices.
- Mix soup and milk together and spread over cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1-1 1/5 or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove foil and top with french fried onions and brown for about 5 minutes.
If Hobo's eat like this, I'll gladly join their ranks !! This is wonderful !! Hearty but not heavy, this recipe is a 5 star winner. Simple to make and delicious to eat--I'll be hanging on to this recipe for a long time to come! I made the recipe as written, using the optional onions (I love onions!)--the dish turned out perfectly!! Next time I make this, I think it might be neat to add some spices to the hamburger, like dry onion soup mix, meatloaf seasoning, etc..just to switch it up so it can be different every time! Thank you so much for a very satisfying and tasty supper! Teresa
This is great!! Other than using shredded cheese instead of slices I pretty much followed the recipe as written. My one other little adjustment was to top each individual serving with the french-fried onions instead of the whole casserole--this is only for leftover purposes so the french-fried onions wouldn't get mushy when re-heated. Love this recipe, can't wait to make it again!!
A real winner! My husband and I both loved it. It also appealed to me because of not having to brown the meat first, a great plus! I freeze 1 lb packages of hamburger in freezer bags so it was already flat and fit the pan perfectly. I followed your recipe exactly. My husband just kept going on about how good it was and to definitely make it again, which I will.