Recipe by Vegan Roxy
A friend of mine gave me this recipe for a hearty, winter casserole. I'm looking forward to trying it!
Top Review by MichelleinHI
This was great comfort and vegan to boot! Very easy preparation with stuff you often have in the pantry. I had a lot of bread mixture in comparison to the bean mixture. I think next time I may double the bean mixture. Thanks for submitting this recipe. We enjoyed it! Made for PAC Spring 08
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped, juice and all
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray skillet with vegetable cooking spray, saute onion, green peppers and garlic until tender. May add 1/4 cup water if desired. Stir in beans and next 7 ingredients. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Pour into 9x13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine meal and flour with next 3 ingredients, add to dry mixture next 4 ingredients. Mix well. Spoon evenly over bean mixture to within 1 inch of edge, all around.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until corn bread is done.