Recipe by karen2
I think this is an old Boy Scout Recipe (they probably didn't use the beer, though). We look forward to camping just so we can make this (although there is no reason not to make it in the oven, we just like the "specialness" of it). I don't have kids, but if I were a kid, this would be a lot of fun to make, and easy! Prep time is just chopping and putting together your Creation!
Top Review by Kat Hogan
We went on a work retreat and everyone had to think of something to feed about 23 people, I used this recipe, it was a hit and everyone said the best one of the trip.. thanks again
- ground beef
- chopped onion
- chopped garlic
- 1 bag frozen vegetables, chopped
- vegetables, chopped
- American cheese
- hot sauce (like RedHot)
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off a very large square of aluminum foil--at least 18 inches long.
- Each person gets their own individual HoboBurger, customized!
- Take a Handful of Chopmeat, place in center of foil (amount can vary--I use a little, my husband uses about 1/3 lb.) Put 1/2 Handful of each different vege on top of meat, mush them up with meat (Or make a"Meat Moat" and put the veges on the inside of well) Add spices to taste.
- Douse with hot sauce--a lot cooks off if you use Red Hot.
- Add a splash of beer for additional moisture, flavor.
- Rip up 2 pieces of american cheese, and mix them in last.
- Make a"foil duck" out of foil by folding over to seal, crimping the ends into handles, and shape like a duck neck--makes it easier to take off the fire if you are camping.
- It's also a good idea to double bag if cooking on camp fire.
- Cook over fire/in oven for at least 20 minutes, depending on how much meat you have, how hot fire is, etc.
- It's done when the juices are boiling inside.
- Gets VERY juicy inside, so don't burn your self, and don't poke holes in foil.
- This is so great bc.
- you can use whatever veges you want-carrots, onions, corn, red/green peppers, broccoli, peas, beans, etc.
- Use fresh or frozen.
- Easy clean up--just throw out foil.