Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. Each hobo dinner pouch contains a seasoned bacon burger, potatoes, carrots, red onion, bell peppers, and zucchini--all wrapped up in a sheet of Reynolds Wrap foil and oven-roasted until golden brown. Throughout this recipe, the foil is key to getting the right texture and flavor. With these flavorful ingredients and cooking method, your hobos will be eating good!
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 6 slices bacon
- 12 small potatoes
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 2 cups zucchini
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Tear off and set aside 6 12-inch square pieces of Reynold's Wrap foil to serve as your hobo dinner pouches. Also line a large baking dish or tray with a sheet of foil for easy clean up of any drips.
- Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces and lightly cover with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Mince garlic. Cover with salt and smash with blade of knife until forms a garlic-salt paste.
- Mix into ground beef: garlic salt paste, pepper, olive oil, and yellow mustard. Stir until mixed well.
- Form meat into 6 portions 1/4 lb. each and smash into thick burger patties on the foil sheets. Wrap a piece of bacon around each one.
- Place vegetables with bacon burgers and fold the foil corners up to enclose the food in foil pouches.
- Place foil pouches on foil lined baking pan and bake in oven @ 400 degrees for 30 minutes. You'll next drain out excess liquid from the vegetables then return to cook uncovered for another 15 minutes. This will allow vegetables to brown and onions to caramelize.
- Drain water from vegetables by opening one side of each foil pouch, form it into the shape of a spout, and pour out the excess liquid by tilting them over a sink. The foil works great for this step because the tips of the foil at the top of the pouches cool off in seconds and you can hold onto them to drain out the liquid.
- Open the pouches so food is uncovered and return to oven to continue cooking for 15 minutes. If you would like vegetables more browned and bacon crisper, also broil them on high 6 inches from heat for 2-3 minutes.
- These hobo bacon burger dinners are great for eating on the go. The dinners can be stored in the fridge right in the same foil packs they cook in and can be easily transported for picnics and other events. They are also versatile with cooking; prepare the foil packs for cooking ahead of time and then throw them on a grill at a barbeque cookout or tailgate party.
- Your hobos will be eating good!
This is a delicious dish. The bacon just adds a ton of flavor. I am a huge football fan and plan on using these at my next game. It is also easy to do at home for a quick dinner. Love this one.