Recipe by Vino Girl
This really does taste a lot like the real thing, and it is easy to make. I got this recipe from a family member, and while I've only made it myself once (my husband just requested it as his birthday cake), I've eaten it many times, and it is a crowd-pleaser! I have only had it as cake, but I imagine it would work better for larger crowds as bars. This tastes MUCH better if it is made the day before and allowed to chill overnight before eating.
Top Review by cuttsie99
was wonderful, made it for a funeral potluck and there were only crumbs left. Thank you for the great recipe. Had a hard time getting the filling to pull together, but found if you beat for 10 min and let it rest for about 5 min. and beat again that you have better luck with it.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 3 eggs (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark chocolate frosting (or your favorite homemade frosting recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (or temperature specified on cake mix box); grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan (for cake) OR a large jelly roll pan (for bars).
- Make cake as directed on the cake mix package using the mix, water, oil, and eggs.
- Bake 30-40 minutes for the cake or as directed on the box, OR 12-15 minutes to make the bars in a jelly roll pan.
- Cool completely.
- Beat the filling ingredients until light and fluffy; this will take about 10-15 minutes.
- (Don't be alarmed if it looks kind of curdled and scary at first since it takes time for it to pull together!).
- Spread the filling over the cooled cake.
- Warm the frosting in the microwave until it is a pourable consistency (do this slowly by only cooking for 15-20 seconds at a time, and stirring).
- Pour the frosting evenly over the filling.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly cool and firm (overnight is highly recommended).
- Store cake in the refrigerator.