This really does taste a lot like the real thing, and it is easy to make. I got this recipe from a family member, and while I've only made it myself once (my husband just requested it as his birthday cake), I've eaten it many times, and it is a crowd-pleaser! I have only had it as cake, but I imagine it would work better for larger crowds as bars. This tastes MUCH better if it is made the day before and allowed to chill overnight before eating.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 3 eggs (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark chocolate frosting (or your favorite homemade frosting recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (or temperature specified on cake mix box); grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan (for cake) OR a large jelly roll pan (for bars).
- Make cake as directed on the cake mix package using the mix, water, oil, and eggs.
- Bake 30-40 minutes for the cake or as directed on the box, OR 12-15 minutes to make the bars in a jelly roll pan.
- Cool completely.
- Beat the filling ingredients until light and fluffy; this will take about 10-15 minutes.
- (Don't be alarmed if it looks kind of curdled and scary at first since it takes time for it to pull together!).
- Spread the filling over the cooled cake.
- Warm the frosting in the microwave until it is a pourable consistency (do this slowly by only cooking for 15-20 seconds at a time, and stirring).
- Pour the frosting evenly over the filling.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly cool and firm (overnight is highly recommended).
- Store cake in the refrigerator.