1/1 Photo of Ho Ho Cake or Bars
1 hr 10 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
This really does taste a lot like the real thing, and it is easy to make. I got this recipe from a family member, and while I've only made it myself once (my husband just requested it as his birthday cake), I've eaten it many times, and it is a crowd-pleaser! I have only had it as cake, but I imagine it would work better for larger crowds as bars. This tastes MUCH better if it is made the day before and allowed to chill overnight before eating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 3 eggs (or amount specified on the cake mix box)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark chocolate frosting (or your favorite homemade frosting recipe)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (or temperature specified on cake mix box); grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan (for cake) OR a large jelly roll pan (for bars).
- 2Make cake as directed on the cake mix package using the mix, water, oil, and eggs.
- 3Bake 30-40 minutes for the cake or as directed on the box, OR 12-15 minutes to make the bars in a jelly roll pan.
- 4Cool completely.
- 5Beat the filling ingredients until light and fluffy; this will take about 10-15 minutes.
- 6(Don't be alarmed if it looks kind of curdled and scary at first since it takes time for it to pull together!).
- 7Spread the filling over the cooled cake.
- 8Warm the frosting in the microwave until it is a pourable consistency (do this slowly by only cooking for 15-20 seconds at a time, and stirring).
- 9Pour the frosting evenly over the filling.
- 10Refrigerate until thoroughly cool and firm (overnight is highly recommended).
- 11Store cake in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ho Ho Cake or Bars
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.6
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 566.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 49.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g