This is like a giant Hostess Ho Ho. The creme filling is the key here I think.
Make and share this Ho Ho Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark chocolate icing
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Prepare cake as directed on package for two round pans.
- When cool, "slice" through cakes to make 4 "thin" cakes.
- Beat sugar, shortening, vanilla, milk, salt and water for 7 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and beat for 5 minutes longer.
- Lay one layer of cake on plate.
- Spread Cream filling on top only, do not go all the way to the edge.
- Lay another layer of cake on this.
- Spread cream filling on this too.
- Again layer and filling until you have all four layers on here.
- Ice the whole cake with the chocolate icing.
YUMMY!!!! I love the filling in this. And I think that by making 4 layers you get more of the flavor of the cake the way it's supposed to be. It was easy to make. Try this!!
i love making a version of this in a jelly roll pan. I divide up the cake in quarters. i then spread the cream filling in between three layers. Top it off with the final quarter, and frost. I have also, tried this using orange and banana cakes. They were wonderful. Everyone at work and home raves about the cake. Thank-you
This was a great recipe. I usually make cakes from scratch, but this one probably needs a cake mix as they're a bit firmer than a moist scratch cake. I did like another reviewer and made it in a jelly roll pan. It was a cinch to cut it in 4 and frost the different layers. I used Fudge Frosting and HIGHLY recommend that with this recipe. It tasted just like a ho-ho. Yummy!