Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Is great on pork or chicken. This recipe is from Hite's Restaurant. They have closed but their sauce is still in great demand.
- 1 quart prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup vinegar (white or cider)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- melt margarine in a large saucepan, add other ingredients and cook slowly for 10 minutes.
- Might want to add water a little at the time for right consistency.
- keeps well in refrigerator.
This was delicious and full of flavor - I wouldn't change a thing, and would be happy to eat it again.
I've been searching for a mustard bbq sauce that would be close to the one you can get in the South at Melvin's or Bessinger's. I tried this, but the ingredients seemed so simple, I have very low expectations. Wrong. Really, really wrong. This pretty much matches theirs and if my husband doesn't get home from work soon, the entire pot of bbq will be gone and nestled in my tummy. I won't apologize. This is gonna be weekly or not more often in this house AND may I point out that with splenda subbed for the sugar, it's low carb as well. Just another excuse to stuff my face some more.