A very versatile, easy dish to prepare. I usually double the recipe and freeze the leftovers. This is also very good when you add a couple of minced garlic cloves to the onions.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice, I've used white, basmati, jasmine and brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds, I've also used cashews, macadamia nuts and pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Melt butter, add onions and saute until soft.
- Add rice and stir to coat.
- Add stock and sea salt.
- Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes (depending on the type of rice used) until tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in almonds and parsley.