Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Modified from Carrot Coriander Soup Carrot Coriander Soup to suit my hippy and vegan desires. Measures are rough, since it is really to taste and what is on hand. This level of pepper made it spicy. Many thanks to Leggy Peggy for the original!
- 2 teaspoons almond oil
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 7 cups carrots, washed & thinly sliced into coins
- 1 cup celery, minced, heart & leaves are best
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, no salt variety
- 1⁄2 cup multi-grain hot cereal, uncooked (rolled whole grains ( oats, wheat, rye, barley)
- Heat oils in dutch oven or other large heavy-bottomed pot that can hold at least 4 quarts.
- Add carrots and sauté over medium to medium high heat. Do not let burn, but it is okay to caramelize edges of carrots. Adjust heat as needed for even cooking.
- Add sliced onion and continue to stir occasionally until onions and carrots begin to soften.
- Add celery and stir.
- Add cumin, stir to mix and to lightly cook cumin, about one minute.
- Add six cups of water, one bullion cube, salt & pepper (to taste since your pepper may be stronger or weaker than mine), molasses, lemon juice, rolled grains mix.
- Boil, then set to simmer w/lid on pot until veggies are tender & grains are cooked. May take 30 minutes or more.
- When ready, cool soup a bit for safety for the blender. Blend at least half of the soup until smooth, then add back to pot.
- Bring back to simmer, then serve.