Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My quest to find a good vegetarian chili recipe ended with this. It's a combination of a couple of recipes plus some adjustments and additions of my own. My roommate says it is not chili--more like a stew--but still really good, if only I left out the bell peppers. I don't really measure or time my recipes, so this is a bit approximate. Season with salt and pepper every step or two. It's vegan as long as you don't top with the optional sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced, seeded if you like, depending on preferred heat level
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 dash cumin (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 0.5 (12 ounce) beer, whatever you like
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) package lite extra-firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and large-diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed or 1 (15 ounce) canany other beans
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- pickled jalapeno pepper (optional)
- tortilla (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- Add oil then onion to a large pot and saute a couple of minutes.
- Add carrot and celery and saute a couple of minutes further.
- Add green bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Saute a further 5 minutes or so.
- Add zucchini, beer, and 1 can of tomatoes. Cook until heated through.
- Add the other can of tomatoes, tofu, and beans.
- Check for seasoning and simmer a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with whatever you like (I like a dollop of sour cream, chopped cilantro, and rough-chopped pickled jalapeno. I like to serve it with a few blue corn tortilla chips and a small warmed flour tortilla.).
HEY! If this is vegetarian, then bring it on! Fixed this for DH & I tonight & will definately be cooking this stew again. The chili powder, jalapeno & green chilies give it a nice kick. Easy to cook, especially because I have one of those chop box things I just purchased at Williams Sonoma. I recommend anyone purchasing one it chops so fast! The only thing I might change is to add the whole beer. This could have used a little more juice. Maybe add a can of vegetable broth. I think the big dollop of sour cream really helped to balance the hotness of the chili powder, jalapeno & green chilies.